This recipe (aside from the electronics) is derived from Joshua Weissman’s video, How to Make Real Tonkotsu Ramen.
Below are all materials you will need to prepare the soup.
Broth / soup
Chashu (Braised pork belly)
|Dried shiitake mushrooms||1/4||cup|
|Chashu braising liquid||1/4||cup|
|DS18B20 Temperature Sensor Module Kit||1|
So I was planning on monitoring the soup using the DS18B20 temperature sensor but it did not arrive in time so unfortunately I don’t have data from that. I also thought it might be cool to monitor if the water level drops below a certain level by taking advantage of the conductivity of the soup by placing two separated wires into the soup at the minimum desired level. If a current can be measured between them (broth is acting as the switch) you don’t need to replace the water. I had a difficult time positioning the wires consistently given the boiling liquid and required occasional mixing.
I believe this is is very possible but will require some more specific hardware and / or modification to the pot itself. Anyway, if full control over your soup is what you desire you can download the code I wrote in anticipation of doing this at this link.
Once everything is set up, it should text / email you if soup temperature or broth level gets too low.
3lbs trottersto large pot. Cover with 2 inches of water and bring to a rolling boil for 10 minutes. Remove any residue that floats to the top with a spoon or mesh strainer.
3lbs trottersand water into a strainer and rinse to clean.
- Place trotters back into the large pot and cover with 3 inches of water.
1 bunch green onioninto fourths and add to large pot.
2 shallotsinto fourths, leaving skins on, and add to pot.
1 yellow onioninto fourths and add to the pot.
2 2 inch knobs ginger, slice and add to pot.
5 cloves garlicand add to pot.
- Bring water in large part to a rolling boil. Minimize temperature while still maintaining a low boil. This will be maintained for 12 hours. Stir pot around once an hour. Additionally, add water to restore original level whenever half of the water had been lost.
1 bunchgreen onion into 2 inch sections.
2 inch knob gingerand slice.
1 cup sake, the green onion, the ginger,
3/4 cup mirin,
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons soy sauce, four cloves of whole garlic, and
1/3cup water to a large oven-safe pot.
- Roll the pork belly length wise and tie with kitchen twine into three separate segments. Place into the pot with other ingredients.
- Bring chashu to a boil, then low boil and then cover with a lid and place into a 300 degree oven for 3-3.5 hours. Baste every 30 mins.
Prepare the tare
three 2 inch peices of kombuto a small pot.
3/4 cup waterto the pot.
- Boil the water and then let kombu seep for 10 minutes.
1/2 cup bonito flakesto pot and let steep for 5 minutes.
- After the 5 minutes poor solution through a fine mesh sieve into a medium bowl.
3/4 cup soy sauce,
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons mirin,
1/4 cup chashu braising liquidand
1/4 cup rehydrating liquidused for mushrooms to medium bowl. Stir and lightly salt.
This should be done within a half-hour of time to serve.
- Finely chop the green part of a green onion.
- Dehydrate shiitake mushrooms according to package directions.
- Prepare ice water bath.
- Bring small pot of water to boil. Add eggs and reduce heat to gentile bowl. Boil eggs for 6-7 minutes then place into ice bath.
Assembling the soup
- Boil ramen noodles according to package directions.
- Slice chashu into into 1/2 inch slices. If cold reheat in pan.
- Add tare to bowl to taste.
- Strain broth and add to bowl.
- Add soft boiled eggs, chashu, mushrooms and sliced green onion to broth.
Here are a few pictures of my results.
Chashu just out of the oven
Closeup glam shot of that molten egg and soup
Abusing portrait mode